It’s two weeks before Christmas. The Christmas tree is up, you and the kids have decorated the hall, stairs and landing and you’re only a few days away from finishing work for the year. However, when decorating you noticed a large crack running up the length of one of the walls. Do you chance it and wait until 2019 to get it fixed, or do you call your local Exeter builders to complete the job in no time at all?
Making sure you address your property maintenance projects with enough time to relax and enjoy the Christmas period is the key to your peace of mind. That’s why Cowley’s building contractors Exeter offer their DIY property maintenance checklist to cover smaller jobs around the home. Remember, we are willing to provide essential reactive and general maintenance services if you need a helping hand.
Your DIY Maintenance Checklist
- Install and maintain smoke detectors. Real, dry Christmas trees can catch fire very quickly, so now is the best time to consider upgrading your smoke detector system.
- If your property is prone to damp and moisture, look to purchase new humidifiers and place around the home.
- De-grease appliances with hot soapy water. This will help to reduce further damage, increase it’s efficient and prevent possible appliance replacement in the future.
- Check walls and ceilings for cracks and damage, if you find them now you can action them at your earliest convenience.
- Check your central heating system. Gurgling sounds from your radiators are normally a good indicator of when you need to bleed them to improve their efficiency over winter. If you are unsure and would like a professional to take a look, reactive maintenance services in Exeter is the best way to solve your queries.
- The same goes for your plumbing and pipes. To avoid burst or frozen pipes keep your heating running on low at night on the colder evening and contact the experts if you need a helping hand.
- Keep a bag of rock salt handy for slippery pathways and driveways.
- Regular maintenance of drains and guttering to ensure any blockages by leaves or debris is taken care of.
- To avoid rust or broken springs, spray WD40 onto the garage, shed or outbuilding hinges to avoid further damage in the Spring, or even complete replacement.
- Concrete slabs can expand if rainwater freezes. By filling these with a cement mixture, this can prevent further damage in the short-term.
- Draught proofing and energy efficiency can help reduce your heating bills over winter. Doors and windows are the main culprits. DIY stores stock a range of temporary insulation products so you don’t lose out over the festive period.
Exeter Builders for your Winter Property Maintenance
Cowley’s provide 24/7 reactive maintenance services for properties in Exeter, so if you have an urgent house repair which you need taken of before Christmas or would like to discuss how we can help you with home extensions or property refurbishments in 2019, contact the team today. We can help to transform your Devon property and make your dream and become a reality. We are your Exeter building contractors.